The medieval district of Castello (Castle) is the oldest of the four historic districts of Cagliari. It is prominently located on a hill, about one hundred meters above sea, and is the heart of the city with its mighty walls that still surround most of the district perimeter.
Alone in Castello there are seven churches: 4 are in Gothic Aragonese style and 2 in Baroque style. However the most important is the Cathedral of Santa Maria, which was built by the Pisans in the thirteenth century and underwent profound stylistic changes over the centuries. In 1930, the facade was restored in an effort to give back to the church the original Pisan-Romanesque style. The church obtained cathedral status in 1258 and is now the seat of the archbishop of Cagliari.
The Cathedral is open daily from 8:00 – 12:00 and from 16:00 – 20:00. On request you can also visit the Cathedral Museum, where are held the most important works of the Cathedral Treasury.
Shared by Patricia at